- John Z. DeLorean is arrested in $24 million cocaine dealOn October 19, 1982, the automaker John Z. DeLorean is arrested and charged with conspiracy to obtain and distribute 55 pounds of cocaine. DeLorean was acquitted of the drug charges in August 1984, but his legal woes were only beginning. He soon went on trial for fraud and over the next two decades ...
- “Take on Me” music video helps Norway’s a-Ha reach the top the U.S. pop chartsFrom its beginnings in the early 1980s, it was clear that MTV, the Music Television Network, would have a dramatic effect on the way pop stars marketed their music and themselves. While radio remained a necessary engine to drive the sales and chart rankings of singles and albums, the rise of new ...
- Questions on the Document Voted at #GCAC18Following Sunday’s vote on the document “Regard for and Practice of General Conference Session and General Conference Executive Committee Actions”, many questions have been asked about the meaning of the vote and how it impacts church governance. In the following article, we try to answer some of these questions. What was the document about? “Regard […]
- Harmony with the World ChurchOn Sunday, October 14, the General Conference (GC) Executive Committee approved a document, Regard for and Practice of General Conference Session and General Conference Executive Committee Actions by a vote of 185 to 124. The decision was an extension of a vote by the GC Executive Committee at its October 2017 meeting. The purpose of this voted document […]
- Church leaders get a lesson on marmite and missionAs a boy growing up in Australia, Gary Krause enjoyed spreading Marmite on wholegrain toast for breakfast. He then ate the salty yeast spread with a sense of pride. He knew that revenue from the sale of Seventh-day Adventist-produced Marmite was helping missionaries in South Pacific islands. “For me, it was a symbol of mission,” […]
- 2018 Secretary’s Report highlights mission“Where are you physically and where are you prophetically are the two questions we’re going to try to answer during this report,” stated G T Ng, executive secretary of the Seventh-day Adventist World Church, during the opening remarks of his statement to the 2018 Annual Council delegates. Known for his quizzes, Ng asked attendees to answer […]
- Adventist Church presents new ‘I Will Go’ strategic planThe Seventh-day Adventist Church unveiled a five-year strategic plan called “I Will Go” and approved an updated mission statement that aims to more closely reflect the wording of Jesus’ Great Commission. The draft strategy pursues many goals of the current five-year plan, “Reach the World,” but simplifies the plan while retaining its sharp focus on […]
- New mission textbook launches at fall Annual CouncilA new Adventist missions textbook is now available, thanks to the results of a study the Office of Archives, Statistics, and Research (ASTR) for the Adventist Church performed just a few years ago. The textbook was revealed onstage during the Sunday morning business session at the Fall Annual Council in Battle Creek, Michigan. Institute of […]