- Verdi’s first opera opensItalian composer Giuseppe Verdi’s first opera, Oberto, conte di San Bonifacio, debuts in Milan. The premiere was held at La Scala, Italy’s most prestigious theater. Oberto was received favorably, and the next day the composer was commissioned by Bartolomeo Merelli, the impresario at La Scala, to ...
- Suez Canal opensThe Suez Canal, connecting the Mediterranean and the Red seas, is inaugurated in an elaborate ceremony attended by French Empress Eugénie, wife of Napoleon III. In 1854, Ferdinand de Lesseps, the former French consul to Cairo, secured an agreement with the Ottoman governor of Egypt to build a canal ...
- Integrated Adventist Health Portal launchesTo enable easier access to health information, the Adventist Church in South America launched the Integrated Adventist Health Portal ‘Quiero Vida y Salud’ [I want Life and Health] in Spanish and Portugese at its Annual Council. The idea is to add everything related to health within the guidelines upheld by Adventists around the world. That includes […]
- Scandinavia launches Adventist Communication AcademyHow can you communicate better using today’s myriad electronic media platforms? To help answer that question, over forty people met at Vejlefjord Adventist College, Denmark for a communication weekend 9-11 November. Richard Daly, British Union Conference Communication director, inspired participants with his personal and vibrant message ‘Who took my juice?’. Daly shared not just personal […]
- Top Inter-American administrators officially installedTop Seventh-day Adventist administrators in the Inter-American Division (IAD) were officially installed during a special ceremony of consecration held at the Parc Ste Thérese Thérèse Stadium in Petionville, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018. Hundreds of Inter-America’s executive committee members along with local leaders and members witnessed the historic event ahead of the church’s business meetings […]
- Seventh-day Adventist World Church president Ted N.C. Wilson thanks church members for their prayers after the 2018 Annual Council.Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, about three weeks ago on October 10, I appealed to you, the nearly 21 million Seventh-day Adventist members around the world, to pray earnestly for everyone attending the Annual Council of the General Conference Executive Committee that was held in Battle Creek, Michigan. You may remember that I specifically […]
- World Church President sets tone for Inter-America year-end meetingsThe Inter-American Division’s (IAD) Year-End Meetings began with prayer for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, a rich harvest of new members in 2019 and for the return of members who have left the church. More than 120 top leaders representing the 24 unions and 42 countries and islands that comprise the IAD territory gathered […]
- Adventists Center of Influence officially opened in VanuatuSeventh-day Adventist Church members in Port Vila, Vanuatu are celebrating after the opening of a new multipurpose building. South Pacific Division president Pastor Glenn Townend officially opened the Epauto Adventist Multipurpose Centre on November 2, and was joined by president of the Adventist Church in the Trans Pacific (TPUM), Pastor Maveni Kaufononga, president of the […]